By Thom S. Rainer
I recently looked at my file of church guest “exit interviews.” These files originated when I did a lot of church consulting, but it also includes some recent consults.
In essence, my team asked guests to attend a worship service on the same day to get their immediate impressions of the church. Among those who had a positive experience, we heard a pattern of recurring themes. Here are the top ten responses in order of frequency. Each item is followed by a direct quote from a guest.
- People introduced themselves to the guests. “Several people introduced themselves to me. I did not get the impression it was either contrived or routine.”
- Someone asked the guest to sit with her. “You know, as a single person, I can feel pretty lonely sitting by myself. I am so glad Joanie asked me to sit with her. We plan to get together for coffee.”
- There was clear signage. “From the parking lot to the children’s area to the worship center, everything was clearly marked. It was sure easy to get around.”
- There was a clearly-marked welcome center. “It made it real easy for me to ask questions and to get some information on the church.”
- The kids loved the children’s area. “My kids were so happy with their experiences. We will be back for sure.”
Read the rest at http://thomrainer.com/2016/02/ten-comments-from-happy-church-guests/
This article was originally posted on ThomRainer.com.
Thom S. Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources.