This Scholarship Fund has been established in memory of John and in honor of Virjama Hamilton by friends who wish to remain anonymous. Funds which are forthcoming from the initial investment will be used to assist students and collegiate ministry directors and associate to serve as summer missionaries and on summer missions projects who might not otherwise be able to participate. These missionaries or projects are to be related to the North American or International Mission Boards of the Southern Baptist Convention.
John Hamilton was at one time pastor of the Grand Avenue Baptist Church in Ames. He later became pastor of the newly formed University Baptist Church and served there for twelve years. John is deceased, but Virjama still lives in Ames and is a member of the University Church. John and Virjama worked with students at Iowa State for many years and were instrumental in the lives of hundreds of students who have taken their roles in churches all over the world.
Payment shall be made following appointment and/or approval of the Mission Project.
Qualifications of the Applicant:
- Must be a High School graduate.
- Must have good moral character and be active in a local Southern Baptist Church.
- Must show reasonable need for financial assistance to participate in Mission Project.
- Must be a resident of Iowa or have established a college address in Iowa.
- Must be enrolled in a Iowa college or university and active in Baptist Collegiate Ministry or in a SBC Seminary.
Formal Application Must Include:
- A completed Hamilton Scholarship Application.
- Brief Statement by Applicant.
- Statement of Conversion.
- Reasons for involvement in Mission Project.
- Financial needs
Administration of these Funds:
- This Scholarship is a part of the Baptist Foundation of Iowa.
- The Baptist Foundation of Iowa Committee will receive and review all applications, make the decision and award the Scholarships three months prior to the project each year.