The Baptist Convention of Iowa (BCI) is an organization of churches in Iowa, partnered with the Southern Baptist Convention to reach the people of Iowa and beyond for Christ.
The Iowa MinistryFund was created by the BCI to partner with and support organizations that minister to the people of Iowa. Below are some examples of ministries that we would like to support:
- Crisis Pregnancy counseling, pregnancy and STD testing, sonograms, referrals
- Addiction Recovery, helping those suffering from addiction and helping them to integrate back into community
- Support for troubled youth including adoption, foster care counseling, housing, etc.
- Provides emergency and transitional housing to those in need
- Prison Ministry and Aftercare, helping those in prison or jail and recently released individuals to integrate back into the community.
- Advocacy for Religious Liberty and Justice, advocating and educating for religious freedom, abortion restrictions, biblical marriage and family support, education choice, and reducing over-taxation.
- Disaster Relief, ministries that seek to aid those impacted by a natural disaster like a flood or tornado
- Ministry to a poverty impacted community or neighborhood that seeks to create a healthy community
- Ministry for victims of human trafficking, counseling, shelter, life-skill training, etc.
- Cross-Cultural Ministry, connecting Iowans for impact among the unreached
- Which number above best describes the organization?
- What is the organization’s mission statement? Describe the purpose of the agency/organization and primary activities to accomplish the purpose. Include such other information as founding date, current director’s name and his or her starting date with the organization, the number of sites/locations you serve, the number of people you reach/serve.
- Do you have a statement of faith? Attach it to the application. Are your board members, staff, and volunteers required to affirm the statement of faith? Can you affirm the Baptist Faith and Message? Note any disagreements.
- How do you partner with and cooperate with local churches and involve your clients in local churches or help local churches to extend their ministries to your clients? How are your staff/volunteers trained, screened, encouraged, and held accountable to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and incorporate clients into local churches?
- Include the most recent budget.
- Including any other information that will help us to understand the ministry.
Funding Process: Application is due in BCI office by April 30. Foundation Committee will meet in May for final decisions and the decisions will be announced by May 31. We will prepare promotional materials including video segment in June and July for distribution to churches and online in August, a special offering is taken among BCI churches in September. Funding amounts will be determined by September 30. Distributions begin in 1/4 increments each three months for one year beginning October 10. Our goal is to provide $10,000 to each ministry category during the year.
Selection Criteria: We intend to support proven ministries in each category that have a regional or statewide reach rather than just local, have supportive relationships with local churches, and encourage evangelism and discipleship.
Communication: When funding begins, organization/agency should agree to include BCI’s logo and acknowledgment of partnership in normal communication channels (e.g. newsletter, web-site, annual meeting program, etc.).