The Friendship Baptist Center is a Ministry Center located in a poverty impacted community in Des Moines. Its ministries are designed to help meet needs of individuals and to display the love of Christ.
Residents in the community surrounding the Center face many daily challenges including: drugs, gangs, lack of adequate English skills and unemployment. The Center exists to be a source of hope and a light for Christ within the neighborhood.
This ministry is funded through the Baptist Convention of Iowa. Your support of the Cooperative Program, Annie Armstrong Easter Offering and Hyde State Missions Offering makes this ministry possible.
Opportunities for Service Through the Friendship Baptist Center:
- Conversational English Ministry
Monday – 5:00-6:00 p.m. Childcare workers are needed for the children of class participants.
- Sunday Night Church- 6:00 p.m. Help is needed in leading worship – either by singing or playing an instrument.
- After-School Kids Club – Help tutor and play games with children K-6th grade.
Tuesdays – 3:15-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday – 1:30-2:45 p.m.
- Disciples’ Youth Group – Mondays after school 7th grade-12. Adults are needed who are interested in building relationshps with teens. Individuals are needed who would be willing to provide a meal for this group.
- Mom’s group – A support goup and Bible study for new mothers. Individuals are needed to provide childcare and support to these mothers and their children.
2nd Friday of every month 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- Clothing Closet
- Monthly Food Distribution
- Community Meal (Saturday Suppers)
- Community Bible Studies (with potential to reach several language groups)
- Life Skill Classes
- Christmas Ministries
- Summer Ministries
- Poverty/Missions Learning Lab
Call us if you are interested in serving the urban poor in our community!
Jon and Mindy Jamison
Friendship Baptist Center
PO Box 41188
1526 Martin Luther King Parkway
Des Moines, IA 50314-1442