Next week is our annual week of prayer for missions in Iowa. We are asking churches this week or next to pray for and highlight some key ministries of our churches. To assist congregations, we have prepared a three-minute video called, “Is it Possible” that is designed to show during a regular Sunday service. This video highlights church planting advances, the Friendship Baptist Center, ministry to college students, and pastoral leadership training.
We encourage churches during this time to take up an offering for Iowa Missions in addition to their regular Cooperative Program offerings. Though the Iowa Missions Offering is designed for churches, individuals can also contribute. To give directly to the Iowa Mission Offering, please send your gift to the Baptist Convention of Iowa, 2400 86th St. Suite 27, Des Moines, IA 50131 Attention: IMO.
Week of Prayer
God placed it on the heart of the pastor of Immanuel Baptist Church in Cedar Rapids to plant a Hispanic church in their community. For four years he prayed for a Hispanic pastor to lead this work. God brought Gilmer and Ethel Mauricio to them from Bolivia, South America. The Mauricios are now on the field and serve as North American Mission Board missionaries.
- Pray for Iglesia Bautista Hispana Emmanuel to reach many people for Christ in the Cedar Rapids area.
- Hispanics make up 5.3% of the population in Iowa. Pray for other Hispanic churches and ministries in Sioux City, Fort Dodge, Des Moines, Ottumwa, and Storm Lake, and that many would come to faith in Christ.
- Pray for open doors to other language ministries across the state.
Fifteen years ago God led Jon and Mindy Jamison to inner city Des Moines to serve at the Friendship Baptist Center, a ministry to people impacted by poverty. The Friendship Center offers ministries such as conversational English classes, an after-school kids club, disciple’s youth group, clothing closet, monthly food distribution, and Monday night church.
- Pray that a transition to church on Sunday nights this fall would allow more people to attend.
- Pray for more volunteers to serve at the Friendship Center.
- Pray that other Iowa churches would find ways to share the love of Christ with people impacted by poverty in their communities.
In the early years, Pastor Darin Ulmer and a group of committed believers were the recipients of funds from the Iowa Missions offering to help them start their new church, Community Baptist Church, Marion. Now Pastor Ulmer encourages his church to give generously to the Iowa Missions Offering so they can have a part in helping start other new churches across the state.
- Praise God for the growth and ministry of CBC, Marion.
- Pray for communities across Iowa needing a church that will share the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Pray for God to lead more Iowa Baptist Churches to begin or support new church starts in their vicinity of the state.
When college students come to UNI, University of Iowa, Iowa State, and Simpson campuses this fall, they will be greeted by members of the Salt Company, a Christian campus ministry committed to reaching and preparing the next generation for Christ. Salt Company ministry exists to share the good news of Christ to students unfamiliar with the claims of Christ, to challenge Christian students to remain committed and grounded in their faith, to provide a Christian world view that may not be presented in classroom settings, and to prepare college students for future leadership and ministry as they move into careers and establish families.
- Pray that God would draw students to Salt Company through relationships and outreach activities.
- Pray for other campus ministries sponsored by Iowa Baptist Churches.
- Pray for the development of student leaders who will be leading Bible Studies, hosting outreach activities, and sharing their faith with fellow students.
Over the years God has called Iowans to go as missionaries to other places. This fall a physician will be going overseas to serve. He is looking for people who will pray for him regularly. Iowa churches are partnering with him in his ministry. He is requesting more prayer support from people or churches willing to pray for him regularly.
- Pray for protection, provision, and guidance for him as he leaves for the mission field this fall.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit would lead each Iowa Baptist congregation to see the mission assignment God has given them.