By Thom S. Rainer
A new members class is critical to informing prospective new members of information and expectations related to your church. In fact, I would suggest every church have a new members class. And today, we explain why its needed and how your church can benefit from it.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Typically, the more you expect from someone, the more you will get from them.
- The backdoor of our churches is as big as it is today because we’ve set low expectations in the past.
- New members who connect with a small group are nearly five times more likely to stay at a church than those who don’t.
- The more people know about a church and the more they are involved in a church, the more they feel a sense of belonging.
- Church vision statements should be simple, short, and memorable.
- You should offer ministry service opportunities to new members as soon as they join a church.
- Being a part of a church means being a good steward financially.
- The most effective new members classes are offered in one sitting.
- One of the greatest evangelistic tools you have is your new members class.
The 10 reasons churches need a new members class are because this class…
- Informs the member
- Sets expectations
- Moves members to small groups
- Defines doctrine and polity
- Closes the back door
- Introduces staff
- Clarifies vision or mission
- Defines ministry opportunities
- Establishes stewardship expectations
- Provides guidance in the facilities
This article was originally posted on ThomRainer.com.
Thom S. Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources.